Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Gorilla (or Monkey) Glue

I've been making cutting boards from scraps for a while. I generally start with 1x2x18-inch cutoffs, joint and plane the 2" sides, then glue them up to end up with something like this:


I have been using Gorilla Glue for these. It's strong (so I thought), has a long working time and expands to fill the small gaps between strips caused by snipe or other mishaps. However, one of the glue joints failed recently, which led me to further research different types of water-resistant glues for this application. It turns out that Gorilla Glue isn't the strongest. According to testing performed by Wood Magazine in the September 2004 issue #157, Titebond III produces a significantly stronger joint, is water-resistant and safe for indirect food contact. Many users at lumberjocks.com indicated a preference for Titebond III for cutting boards also, so I bought a bottle and tried it on a couple of cutting boards.

It is very strong, but the small gaps (< 0.5mm) were an issue, causing me to pay closer attention to surface preparation. I haven't made up my mind yet, and I've gone back to Gorilla Glue for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment