Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Replacement ball-bearings for Carter bandsaw guides

The bearings on my Carter bandsaw guides are about 10 years old and have been screaming like a banshee. So I called Carter Products to inquire about replacement bearings. Imagine my dismay when I was quoted $90 for the set of 10 bearings...OUCH! The whole upgrade kit only cost $150 when I bought it. Carter makes fine products, but I think $90 is excessive, so I began searching for an alternative source. The bearings are metric and measure 8 (ID) x 22 (OD) x7 (width) mm.

VXB Bearings (not affiliated) has a large variety of bearings in that size, so I settled on a 10-pack of 608ZZ for $4.95. They are carbon steel and rated up to 34,000 RPM, so if they last a year or two that's a great deal.

I received and installed the bearings. They fit perfectly; however, I am a little concerned about the seals and how long they will last. I guess for $5 it doesn't really matter.

3 comments:

  1. Well, the first replacement bearing failed, after only 6 months of intermittent use. I guess for $5 it wasn't a bad deal, but I will be looking for higher quality ones next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently had a bearing fail on my Carter guide. As it turns out, these are standard skateboard bearings. You can contact a skateboard shop, on-line of local, and find a variety of these bearings of various qualities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative.. CutTheWood

    ReplyDelete