Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Deep-throat guitar-maker's clamps

I built some clamps as described in Irving Sloane's Classical Guitar Construction. I drew a full-sized template based on his diagrams and used some 1 x 2 maple scraps to make them. I got a 1" x 3/16" x 48" steel bar from the local hardware store and cut it into four 1-ft sections.

The upper and lower jaws start out the same, so I clamped them all together and ran them through the dado blade to cut the inside relief. This can also be done with a standard tablesaw blade--you just have to make more passes. I used a 1/4" mortising bit to make the mortises for the steel bar and used a 1/4" stopped-dado to cut the recess for the cam-lever. A disk sander quickly rounded the corners of the 1/4" x 1" x 4" cam-levers.

I used compression pins to hold everything together and put felt pads on the jaws. It took less than 2 hours to make four complete clamps.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment