Thursday, March 18, 2010

DIY fret tang nipper for $7

While I was browsing the Stewart-McDonald catalog, I noticed their fret nipper tool and realized it was just a modified nibbler. So when I found a nibbler at Harbor Freight (#97636) last weekend for $7, I couldn't pass it up.


I bought the nibbler and filed a 1/16" recess tangent to and just above the cutter so that half the crown fits in the recess and the tang is flush to the plate. Squeeze and presto - tang is gone cleanly.

Now, if you're wondering what this is all about, it's so that the fret tang doesn't interfere with fingerboard binding.

3 comments:

  1. Apparently, somebody liked my idea enough to copy and commercialize it:

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/AxeMasters-Guitar-FRET-TANG-NIBBLER-Nipper-Luthier-Tool-/350479965829?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item519a3bde85

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for writing such an interesting article on this topic. This has really made me think and I hope to read more. CutTheWood.com - Woodworking DIY

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a great website.. The Design looks very good.. Keep working like that!. wardrobes

    ReplyDelete