Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Router Circle Cutting Jig

After my last post, I decided to replicate the Jasper 400 for my router base plate using 1/8" hardboard. The reason I chose to make it versus buying the Jasper is 1) I need it now and 2) the reviews on the Jasper indicate that it breaks easily--not acceptable for a $30 tool. The advantage over it instead of using the edge-guide compass conversion is a smaller footprint. This design is essentially what is described by Cumpiano in Guitar Making: Tradition and Technology.

Well it turns out that even this footprint is too large. While the router gives excellent depth control, the weight results in greater risk of damaging the soundboard surface. I really like the base and jig from Stewart McDonald, but I don't want to pay $100+ for them. Back to the drawing board...perhaps I'll machine one.

UPDATE: I finally caved and bought the router base from StewMac. It's excellent, btw. Even considering the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment