Thursday, July 22, 2010

Classical Guitar 1 DOA

I've been having hell trying to finish the binding on my first guitar, compounded by the incredibly difficult-to-sand Jatoba and a too-short peghead, so I have decided to shelf it for now.

I have learned some valuable lessons and am ready to start anew.

I chose a parlor-sized plantilla based on an old child's guitar. The scale is just over 23". I will try to build three similar classical guitars at once, one for each of my children:

  • All three will use Torres fan bracing.
  • Two will have black walnut back and sides with curly maple trim, mahogany or maple neck, with one having spruce and the other having a redwood top.
  • The third may have flamed, quarter-sawn sycamore sides with cocobolo trim and spruce soundboard, but I haven't decided for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment